10.12.2010

Black Swan

I'm a little late on commenting on the Rodarte + Arronofsky collaboration for 'Black Swan,' but I am nonetheless VERY excited. Rodarte has been a tour de force in the design world over the last several years, and rightly so.  Their unique perspective and boldness in presentation has catapulted them to success and opened many doors for collaboration. Since I started dancing at age 3, I have a very special place in my heart for ballet and all forms of dance...can't wait to see how Natalie Portman does with those plies and pirouettes and to see the lovely costuming of over 40 pieces by Rodarte.


Collaborations between fashion designers and dance companies is one with a rich history. Both Coco Chanel and Paul Poiret had significant relationships with the Ballet Russes and provided another channel where designers could express their aesthetic.
-Dancers for the Ballet Russes in costumes by Chanel, 1928-